200 grams paneer (cottage cheese)
3 tablespoon rice flour
1 tablespoon besan (gram flour)
2 tablespoon corn starch(corn flour)
1 teaspoon green chili paste
1 teaspoon garlic paste
1 teaspoon ginger paste
½ teaspoon red chili powder or kashmiri red chili powder
¼ to ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
¼ teaspoon lime juice or add as required
4 tablespoon water
5 tablespoon oil for frying
salt as required
1/4 lime juice
For Paneer 65 Tempering
3 tablespoon chopped onions
2 to 3 green chilies
½ teaspoon chopped ginger
½ teaspoon chopped garlic
6 to 7 curry leaves
1 to 2 dry red chilies
½ teaspoon mustard seeds - optional
¼ teaspoon sugar or add as per taste - optional
2 to 3 pinches of salt
2 teaspoon oil
coriander leaves (cilantro leaves) for garnish
1. Take rice flour, besan (gram flour) and corn starch(corn flour) in a mixing bowl.
2. Add the following spices & herbs – green chili paste, garlic paste, ginger paste, red chili powder, garam masala powder and lime juice. Also add salt as required.
3. Add water. And whisk to a smooth medium consistency batter.
4. Add paneer cubes. Gently mix the paneer cubes with the batter. Cover and allow to marinate for about 15 to 20 minutes.
5.Heat oil in a pan. The oil should be medium hot. You can fry the paneer on a low to medium flame, regulating the flame while frying. Coat the paneer cubes with the batter and add them to the hot oil. Keep some space between the paneer cubes so that they don’t stick. I have shallow fried the paneer cubes but you can even deep fry.
6. Once the base is done, flip and fry the other side. Flip for a couple of times all the paneer cubes and fry till the outsides become crisp and golden.
7. Drain the fried paneer cubes on kitchen paper towels to remove excess oil.
8. In the same pan, heat oil. Add ½ tsp mustard seeds (rai). Almost all of the oil will be used up while frying paneer. If there is some oil left in the pan, then no need to add the oil. Just add the mustard seeds to the same oil. Mustard seeds are optional and skip if you don’t have them.
9. After the mustard seeds crackle, add chopped ginger, chopped garlic, green chilies chopped , dry red chilies and curry leaves. Stir well.
10. Then add chopped onions. Stir and saute the onions till they turn translucent.
11. Add pinches of salt. Stir again well.
12. Add the fried paneer cubes. Mix and toss the paneer cubes with the rest of the sauteed ingredients.
13. Lastly add chopped coriander leaves. Stir.
Serve paneer 65
hot plain as a starter or with some chapatis, naan or tandoori rotis or bread.